St. Thomas Manor was perhaps the grandest house in Charles County in the 18th Century, rivaled only by the Lee home at Blenheim. The Manor was established in 1649. It consisted of nearly 4000 acres, most of which lay on the West side of Port Tobacco River and was farmed by tenant farmers. The manor house itself was constructed in 1741. Since then it has been the home for the many Jesuits who have served here over the centuries. During the mid 1700s it was the home for Father George Hunter who was largely responsible for resurgent interest in sending the children of Maryland Catholics to Europe for a Catholic education. This painting is of the Port Tobacco River at Chapel Point from the Jesuit lands on the Western shore as it might have looked in winter circa 1760 long before the existing St Ignatius Church was built in 1798. Note, at this time the Manor house had a hip on hip roof. The smaller structure on the West side facing the viewer is the earlier brick chapel (1697) that was connected to the Manor house.
Oil on canvas 24x36 inches