View From Chandler's Hope
William Neale married Ann Brooke; their family included five boys, four of whom entered the priesthood (a fifth died in seminary), and four daughters, one who became a nun. Thus, six of the Neale children made the long voyage across the North Atlantic to Great Britain and then on to destinations in Austrian Flanders (Belgium). Three of the boys became Jesuits and the daughter a Poor Clare. Two of William and Ann’s granddaughters, Ann Teresa Matthews and Susannah Mathews also made the journey and became Carmelites. They are part of the stories told in the paintings A Most Remarkable Story of Faith, Courage, and Dedication and Goose Creek.
Fast forward to 1790. On the evening of July 10, 1790, William and Ann’s son Reverend Charles Neale, along with their granddaughters Ann Teresa and Susanna Matthews, and Ann Matthews (Ann Teresa and Susanna’s aunt and a former neighbor of the Neale’s), and English born Sister Clare Joseph arrived at Brent’s Landing on the Port Tobacco River. After a ten-day stay at Ignatius Matthews’ (Ann Teresa and Susanna’s brother) home at Mount Air, the Carmelites moved to Chandler’s Hope (now owned in part by Father Neale). The Carmelites remained at Chandler’s Hope until October when Rev. Neale and Baker Brooke, who owned a house and farm further up the Port Tobacco Creek exchanged properties. The Carmelites now had their home. During their brief stay at Chandler’s Hope, the Carmelites likely saw numerous sloops engaged in commerce on the rivers like the one pictured in this painting rounding Fourth Point. Oil on canvas 24x48 inches